to let you know I'm still alive, lol!
This last month (and, really, the one before it) I haven't really been able to get any sewing done as, not only have I been struggling to focus on my uni (three assignments I need to work on due around this weekend ... one 1500wd by Friday, one 2000wd and one 2500wd by Monday!!) ... I have also been not very well.
Just briefly, as it either takes me a while to type, or is painful ... I started the month off with a bout of tonsillitis ... then I've been dealing with a hyperextension/overuse injury on my left wrist/hand (which means I have to be careful as to how I use it, and have to get up and away from the computer more often than I usually do, especially when doing my uni work!) ... then since this past weekend my wonderful immune system decided to not only pick up my daughter's cold - but then develop into a chest infection!!! NOT HAPPY!!! Basically, I have spent half this month so far on pain meds that make me really drowsy, and the rest of the month unable to focus for whatever reason!!! ** If you are waiting on receiving a swap item from me, please know IT IS COMING ... it is just taking me a lot longer than I had anticipated to getting to it ... Hoping to get some sewing in as soon as I have these assignments finished and sent through!!**
I did, however, have the pleasure of celebrating my daughter's 4th birthday last weekend though ... thankfully before my cold started!!! As I have made her cake every year so far, I couldn't not do one this year. I did originally plan on making a castle cake ... but instead decided to use the Littlest Pet Shop figurines I had already bought to give to her (plus a few extra LPS accessories she already had that I raided), to decorate the cake ...
I used three White Wings cake mixes (1 x Angelic Vanilla, 2 x Strawberries and Cream), adding some extra pink colouring to a couple of the batters in an effort to get that graduating hues effect I've seen in those gorgeous rainbow cakes ... my daughter's favourite colour is pink, thus the LOADS of pink!!
For the icing, I did a version of buttercream, with roughly equal quantities of margarine and cream cheese, icing sugar to taste and achieve required thickness, vanilla essence for flavouring, and food colouring. The 'flowers' and 'leaves' were piped on using the same icing.
So at least I have achieved SOMETHING this month!!